ILNews

Ex-Chicago cop among 3 sentenced in Latin Kings prosecutions

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

The continuing federal prosecutions of the Latin Kings street gang that federal authorities have implicated in 19 murders resulted in a 19-year sentence for a former Chicago police officer.

Ex-Chicago officer Alex Guerrero, 41, will serve the sentence after he pleaded guilty in August to charges of conspiracy to participate in racketeering activity, conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute five kilograms or more of cocaine and 1,000 kilograms or more of marijuana, interference with commerce by threats or violence, and use and carrying of a firearm during and in relation to crimes of violence and drug trafficking.  

U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Indiana David Capp and Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer announced the sentence in a statement on Friday. Also sentenced with Guerrero were Brandon Clay, 25, of Chicago; and Antonio Gudino, 31, of Hammond, both of whom pleaded guilty to racketeering conspiracy in July.

U.S. District Judge Rudy Lozano in the Northern District of Indiana on Friday sentenced Clay to 30 years in prison and Gudino to 14 years and five months in prison.

According to the third superseding indictment in the case, the Latin Kings is a nationwide gang that originated in Chicago and has branched out throughout the United States with specific leadership and multiple chapters in many regions. Authorities say the Latin Kings are responsible for at least 19 murders, including juveniles and one pregnant woman, in the Chicago/Northwest Indiana area and in Big Spring, Texas. Twenty-three Latin Kings members and associates have been indicted in this case; 20 have pleaded guilty.

Guerrero, the former Chicago officer, admitted to being associated with the Latin Kings, and Gudino and Clay admitted to being Latin King members from an early age.

In addition to admitting gang and drug activities, Guerrero also admitted he took part in robberies at the direction of Latin Kings leader and co-conspirator Sisto Bernal, the statement said. Guerrero acknowledged that in approximately December 2006, he entered the Hammond residence of rival gang member James Walsh. Guerrero and his police partner and co-defendant Antonio Martinez physically restrained Walsh and others while the home was searched and robbed.  
Bernal and Martinez previously pleaded guilty for their roles in the racketeering and robbery conspiracies.

Clay acknowledged that on Feb. 25, 2007, he and with four co-defendants rode on a “mission” from Illinois to Griffith, Ind.  While armed with three firearms, they were ordered to shoot to kill rival gang members Walsh and Gonzalo Diaz. As the rival gang members left a party, Clay and several Latin Kings members rode up in a vehicle, and Clay and another defendant got out of the vehicle and shot and killed the two, authorities said.

Clay and two other defendants also are accused of driving to a rival gang neighborhood and causing the shooting death of Christiana Campos, a member of a rival gang.

The case is being investigated by the FBI; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; the Drug Enforcement Administration; ICE Homeland Security investigations; the National Gang Intelligence Center; and police departments in Chicago, Houston, East Chicago, Griffith, Hammond, and Highland. The case is being prosecuted by Joseph A. Cooley of the Criminal Division’s Organized Crime and Gang Section and David J. Nozick of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Indiana. Assistant U.S. Attorney Andrew Porter of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Illinois provided significant assistance.
 

ADVERTISEMENT

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in Indiana Lawyer editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT
Subscribe to Indiana Lawyer
  1. My daughters' kids was removed from the home in March 2015, she has been in total compliance with the requirements of cps, she is going to court on the 4th of August. Cps had called the first team meeting last Monday to inform her that she was not in compliance, by not attending home based therapy, which is done normally with the children in the home, and now they are recommending her to have a psych evaluation, and they are also recommending that the children not be returned to the home. This is all bull hockey. In this so called team meeting which I did attend for the best interest of my child and grandbabies, I learned that no matter how much she does that cps is not trying to return the children and the concerns my daughter has is not important to cps, they only told her that she is to do as they say and not to resist or her rights will be terminated. I cant not believe the way Cps treats people knowing if they threaten you with loosing your kids you will do anything to get them back. My daughter is drug free she has never put her hands on any of her children she does not scream at her babies at all, but she is only allowed to see her kids 6 hours a week and someone has to supervise. Lets all tske a stand against the child protection services. THEY CAN NO LONGER TAKE CHILDREN FROM THERE PARENTS.

  2. Planned Parenthood has the government so trained . . .

  3. In a related story, an undercover video team released this footage of the government's search of the Planned Parenthood facilities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXVN7QJ8m88

  4. Here is an excellent movie for those wanting some historical context, as well as encouragement to stand against dominant political forces and knaves who carry the staves of governance to enforce said dominance: http://www.copperheadthemovie.com/

  5. Not enough copperheads here to care anymore, is my guess. Otherwise, a totally pointless gesture. ... Oh wait: was this done because somebody want to avoid bad press - or was it that some weak kneed officials cravenly fear "protest" violence by "urban youths.."

ADVERTISEMENT