ILNews

Feds charge 8 more NW Indiana gang members

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

Federal prosecutors on Friday charged eight alleged Imperial Gangsters street gang members in a 41-count indictment that expands on previous homicide and drug trafficking charges.

The indictment Friday and those prior allege 12 murders and eight attempted murders dating to 2002, according to David Capp, U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Indiana, who announced the charges at a news conference in Hammond.  

“With this indictment we have now charged 23 members of the Imperial Gangsters,” Capp said. “The Imperial Gangsters is an ongoing criminal enterprise and we will continue our efforts until all members are off the streets.”

Friday’s indictment included charges against new defendants for conspiracy to participate in racketeering activity and conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute five kilograms or more of cocaine and 100 kilograms or more of marijuana. Those charged were: Salvador Chavez, 33, Chicago; Raymond Campos, 28, Ace Cortez, 33, Julius Solis, 23, Darmaile Cortez Sutton, 29, Eddie Torres, 42, and Richard Reyes, 40, all of East Chicago; and Julian Guillermo Serna, 23, of Munster.

The indictment also alleges five additional homicides that were not alleged in previous indictments:
•    The 2004 homicide of Anuar David Paez in East Chicago allegedly by Cortez;
•    The 2005 homicide of Guadalupe Trevino in Gary, allegedly by Jason Medina, who was previously indicted;
•    The 2007 homicide of Rene Alonzo in East Chicago, allegedly by Reyes;
•    The 2007 homicide of Luis Ortiz in Hammond, allegedly Juan Briseno, who was previously indicted;
•    The 2008 homicide of Mario Soriano in Hammond, allegedly by Serna.

The indictment also charges Briseno with three attempted homicides that were not previously charged in 2008 and 2009. Solis is also accused in a new attempted murder charge dating to 2009.

In addition to Briseno, seven people remain charged in prior indictments: Justin Weaver, Michael Anthony Castillo, Jason Medina, Edward Raye Serna, Robert Lockhart, Armando Jose Velasquez and Anthony Baldazo.

Seven people have pleaded guilty: Galo Benjamin Feliciano, Guillermo Briseno, Alejandro Balboa Lara, Kevin Beltran, David Almaraz, Joseph Rene Torres and Alejandro Briseno.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; the East Chicago Police Department; the Federal Bureau of Investigation and law enforcement offices in Gary, Hammond and Lake County are investigating. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney David J. Nozick.

 

ADVERTISEMENT

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in Indiana Lawyer editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Indiana State Bar Association

Indianapolis Bar Association

Evansville Bar Association

Allen County Bar Association

Indiana Lawyer on Facebook

facebook
ADVERTISEMENT
Subscribe to Indiana Lawyer
  1. My daughter was taken from my home at the end of June/2014. I said I would sign the safety plan but my husband would not. My husband said he would leave the house so my daughter could stay with me but the case worker said no her mind is made up she is taking my daughter. My daughter went to a friends and then the friend filed a restraining order which she was told by dcs if she did not then they would take my daughter away from her. The restraining order was not in effect until we were to go to court. Eventually it was dropped but for 2 months DCS refused to allow me to have any contact and was using the restraining order as the reason but it was not in effect. This was Dcs violating my rights. Please help me I don't have the money for an attorney. Can anyone take this case Pro Bono?

  2. If justice is not found in a court room, it's time to clean house!!! Even judges are accountable to a higher Judge!!!

  3. The small claims system, based on my recent and current usage of it, is not exactly a shining example of justice prevailing. The system appears slow and clunky and people involved seem uninterested in actually serving justice within a reasonable time frame. Any improvement in accountability and performance would gain a vote from me. Speaking of voting, what do the people know about judges and justice from the bench perspective. I think they have a tendency to "vote" for judges based on party affiliation or name coolness factor (like Stoner, for example!). I don't know what to do in my current situation other than grin and bear it, but my case is an example of things working neither smoothly, effectively nor expeditiously. After this experience I'd pay more to have the higher courts hear the case -- if I had the money. Oh the conundrum.

  4. My dear Smith, I was beginning to fear, from your absense, that some Obrien of the Nanny State had you in Room 101. So glad to see you back and speaking truth to power, old chum.

  5. here is one from Reason magazine. these are not my words, but they are legitimate concerns. http://reason.com/blog/2010/03/03/fearmongering-at-the-splc quote: "The Southern Poverty Law Center, which would paint a box of Wheaties as an extremist threat if it thought that would help it raise funds, has issued a new "intelligence report" announcing that "an astonishing 363 new Patriot groups appeared in 2009, with the totals going from 149 groups (including 42 militias) to 512 (127 of them militias) -- a 244% jump." To illustrate how dangerous these groups are, the Center cites some recent arrests of right-wing figures for planning or carrying out violent attacks. But it doesn't demonstrate that any of the arrestees were a part of the Patriot milieu, and indeed it includes some cases involving racist skinheads, who are another movement entirely. As far as the SPLC is concerned, though, skinheads and Birchers and Glenn Beck fans are all tied together in one big ball of scary. The group delights in finding tenuous ties between the tendencies it tracks, then describing its discoveries in as ominous a tone as possible." --- I wonder if all the republicans that belong to the ISBA would like to know who and why this outfit was called upon to receive such accolades. I remember when they were off calling Trent Lott a bigot too. Preposterous that this man was brought to an overwhelmingly republican state to speak. This is a nakedly partisan institution and it was a seriously bad choice.

ADVERTISEMENT