ILNews

Settlement may be largest of its kind: State agency resolves federal lawsuit that began with legal malpractice claim

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share
An Indianapolis law firm has been holding its breath for two years. Ever since getting hit with a potentially devastating $17.9 million jury verdict on a legal malpractice claim in state court, the 45-year-old law firm Fillenwarth Dennerline Groth & Towe hasn't been able to put the focus on its daily client business without acknowledging that dark storm cloud hovering overhead.

Now, the storm cloud has dissolved.

In what may be the state's largest-ever liquidation return of its kind, the Indiana Department of Insurance has reached a $16.5 million settlement with Alabama-based ProNational Insurance to end a fourmonth-old federal lawsuit alleging bad faith and breach of contract for how it handled the legal malpractice claim against Frederick Dennerline and the firm.

"This is a big relief," partner William Groth said about the settlement. "The last couple years have been pretty difficult from an emotional standpoint; there's been a lot of bitter tears and uncertainty. The judgment has been a big distraction, but that's now all concluded and that distraction is removed."

ProNational was the malpractice insurer for the law firm when a situation materialized. At the time, Fillenwarth Dennerline represented the failed Indiana Construction Industry Trust that had provided health-care coverage to 8,200 non-union construction workers before going bust in 2002. Those Hoosiers were left with unpaid medical bills, and the insurance commissioner went after all the defendants - including Dennerline, who'd served as outside counsel for the health plan and had knowledge of the failing trust.

About 80 other defendants settled with the state agency, but Dennerline proceeded to trial. ProNational declined to settle for the $1 million limit that Dennerline wanted. A jury in August 2006 found Dennerline and the firm liable and assessed a $17.9 million verdict that the Indiana Court of Appeals affirmed this past spring.

Earlier this year, the law firm assigned its rights to the insurance commissioner and paid $50,000, releasing it from any obligation to pay the multi-million dollar verdict. The U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, suit immediately followed in June.

The agreement came about 4:30 p.m. Oct. 10 in Jim Atterholt v. ProNational Insurance Co., No. 1:08-cv-0834-DFH-WTL, which accused ProNational of declining multiple opportunities to settle the state court claim. The suit claimed the company breached its obligation to pay the claims and engaged in a "malicious, willful, oppressive, and unfounded" manner in failing and refusing to settle.

Indianapolis attorney Joe Chapelle with Barnes & Thornburg, who represented ProNational, said he and the company are pleased with the $16.5 million settlement.

"This is not to be construed to mean that there was any finding by the department of bad faith," he said. "We are pleased with the outcome, and the company is pleased to be able to put this behind them."

He maintained that ProNational does not have a "no-settle" policy - a position made following the federal suit filing in the summer.

At that time, Chapelle said that his client insures about 1,000 attorneys or firms in Indiana and offers coverage up to $5 million. In the past five years, about 67 percent of the cases against attorneys have been resolved without any payments from dismissals, summary judgments, or defense verdicts, he said. About 27 percent have been settled, and about 7 percent have evaded judgment, he said. 

"We do not have a no-settle policy," he said. "That's something someone would throw out there on these types of complaints."

Of about 20 suits filed nationally in the past decade where ProNational was a defendant, federal dockets show that about six involved the insurer getting sued for medical malpractice claims. None of the others appear to involve legal malpractice, except for this current case and the previous one that was filed but dismissed in 2005 by Fillenwarth Dennerline. Records show most were dismissed, with some involving joint stipulation of dismissal from both parties following settlement. Some records were sealed or not available online.

Cohen & Malad attorney Irwin Levin, who represented the state insurance agency and was on the original legal malpractice action against the firm, said this federal settlement negotiation came down to balancing the trust fund needs with a potentially ongoing appeal and federal suit.

"We negotiated and took a tough stance, and it came down to how long we wanted to litigate," Levin said, noting this settlement ended the federal suit and a transfer request pending on the state legal malpractice claim before the Indiana Supreme Court.

Levin added that to his knowledge, this is the highest amount ever returned from a liquidation action without a guaranty fund in the state. An additional $7.7 million in settlements already paid by other defendants makes a combined total of more than $24 million to be paid into the trust.

The Department of Insurance described this recovery as remarkable, noting that it hadn't expected to recover this amount. The money will be used to reimburse about 80 percent of out-of-pocket expenses paid by member companies, their employees, and healthcare providers that should have been paid years ago by the trust. A payout date is set for Dec. 15; members, employees, and healthcare providers are able to submit reimbursement claims to a special deputy liquidator, Indiana Insolvency Inc.

In the meantime, Groth and others at the firm are just happy to be able to look past this suit that has been all engulfing. The firm's malpractice rates have dropped, the client base continues expanding from those loyal clients who endured the past two years, and Groth said the firm has more work than ever. The firm has changed insurance carriers and no longer goes with ProNational. 


Previous ProNational coverage:

"Justices asked to hear law firm case" - Sept. 3, 2008
 
"Suit filed against insurer" - July 9, 2008

"$18 million verdict clouds law firm's future" - Sept. 20, 2006"This was our only experience with ProNational, and it wasn't a pleasant one.We don't know if it's consistent to how they operate with everyone, but they didn't settle when we wanted them to," Groth said, adding that he hopes this $16.5 million amount will teach ProNational and other insurers a lesson.

"We hope this will cause them to put the insureds' interests ahead of their own financial interests," he said. "Maybe it'll make them pay more attention to the emotional and financial consequences of refusing to settle, particularly when that insured is a law firm and there's no cap on liability, as there is on medical professionals." •
ADVERTISEMENT

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in Indiana Lawyer editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT
Subscribe to Indiana Lawyer
  1. Good luck, but as I have documented in three Hail Mary's to the SCOTUS, two applications (2007 & 2013),a civil rights suit and my own kicked-to-the-curb prayer for mandamus. all supported in detailed affidavits with full legal briefing (never considered), the ISC knows that the BLE operates "above the law" (i.e. unconstitutionally) and does not give a damn. In fact, that is how it was designed to control the lawyers. IU Law Prof. Patrick Baude blew the whistle while he was Ind Bar Examiner President back in 1993, even he was shut down. It is a masonic system that blackballs those whom the elite disdain. Here is the basic thrust:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackballing When I asked why I was initially denied, the court's foremost jester wrote back that the ten examiners all voted, and I did not gain the needed votes for approval (whatever that is, probably ten) and thus I was not in .. nothing written, no explanation, just go away or appeal ... and if you appeal and disagree with their system .. proof positive you lack character and fitness. It is both arbitrary and capricious by its very design. The Hoosier legal elites are monarchical minded, and rejected me for life for ostensibly failing to sufficiently respect man's law (due to my stated regard for God's law -- which they questioned me on, after remanding me for a psych eval for holding such Higher Law beliefs) while breaking their own rules, breaking federal statutory law, and violating federal and state constitutions and ancient due process standards .. all well documented as they "processed me" over many years.... yes years ... they have few standards that they will not bulldoze to get to the end desired. And the ISC knows this, and they keep it in play. So sad, And the fed courts refuse to do anything, and so the blackballing show goes on ... it is the Indy way. My final experience here: https://www.scribd.com/document/299040062/Brown-ind-Bar-memo-Pet-cert I will open my files to anyone interested in seeing justice dawn over Indy. My cases are an open book, just ask.

  2. Looks like 2017 will be another notable year for these cases. I have a Grandson involved in a CHINS case that should never have been. He and the whole family are being held hostage by CPS and the 'current mood' of the CPS caseworker. If the parents disagree with a decision, they are penalized. I, along with other were posting on Jasper County Online News, but all were quickly warned to remove posts. I totally understand that some children need these services, but in this case, it was mistakes, covered by coorcement of father to sign papers, lies and cover-ups. The most astonishing thing was within 2 weeks of this child being placed with CPS, a private adoption agency was asking questions regarding child's family in the area. I believe a photo that was taken by CPS manager at the very onset during the CHINS co-ocerment and the intent was to make money. I have even been warned not to post or speak to anyone regarding this case. Parents have completed all requirements, met foster parents, get visitation 2 days a week, and still the next court date is all the way out till May 1, which gives them(CPS) plenty of to time make further demands (which I expect) No trust of these 'seasoned' case managers, as I have already learned too much about their dirty little tricks. If they discover that I have posted here, I expect they will not be happy and penalized parents again. Still a Hostage.

  3. They say it was a court error, however they fail to mention A.R. was on the run from the law and was hiding. Thus why she didn't receive anything from her public defender. Step mom is filing again for adoption of the two boys she has raised. A.R. is a criminal with a serious heroin addiction. She filed this appeal MORE than 30 days after the final decision was made from prison. Report all the facts not just some.

  4. Hysteria? Really Ben? Tell the young lady reported on in the link below that worrying about the sexualizing of our children is mere hysteria. Such thinking is common in the Royal Order of Jesters and other running sex vacays in Thailand or Brazil ... like Indy's Jared Fogle. Those tempted to call such concerns mere histronics need to think on this: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-12-year-old-girl-live-streamed-her-suicide-it-took-two-weeks-for-facebook-to-take-the-video-down/ar-AAlT8ka?li=AA4ZnC&ocid=spartanntp

  5. This is happening so much. Even in 2016.2017. I hope the father sue for civil rights violation. I hope he sue as more are doing and even without a lawyer as pro-se, he got a good one here. God bless him.

ADVERTISEMENT