For the fifth time in the past six years, the Feminist Law Society of the Indiana University School of Law - Indianapolis will present the "Vagina Monologues."
This year, students from the law school, along with the students from the Indiana University School of Medicine's chapters of the Student National Medical Association and the American Medical Women's Association, professors, and community members will perform the monologues.
Law student Danelle Cord, who had helped with other productions of the monologues when she was an undergraduate student, has been working with the Feminist Law Society's presentations of Eve Ensler's play in 2008, 2009, and this year.
To get the 17 confirmed performers, she said the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis campus e-newsletter included information for anyone with an interest.
Proceeds will benefit two charities: 10 percent will go to the V-Day Campaign, which helps rape victims in the Democratic Republic of Congo; the other 90 percent will go to Legacy House in Indianapolis, a shelter for victims of domestic violence.
"We've had a different local organization every year," she said. Directors are "supposed to pick an organization that does something for violence against women. ... We're trying to spread it around. It also gives the organization a chance to get a little extra publicity."
In past years, money raised by ticket sales has gone to the Julian Center and the Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence.
Kerry Hyatt Blomquist, legal director of the ICADV, said a student asked her to participate. She will perform a monologue called "The Flood," where a woman in her 70s talks about her "down there" and dreams she would have about Burt Reynolds.
Blomquist said organizers of the event suggested performers look at their monologues on YouTube for ideas about how other women have performed them.
Stacy Files, who works for student services at the Indiana University Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, will be doing introductions for each monologue. She has been rehearsing with Blomquist.
She and Blomquist said some of the featured monologues are funny, some are sad, some are angry, but all are interesting.
Cord said for anyone who has seen the monologues or has never been but would like to, it's always "a different group of people, always a different twist, and always entertaining."
Last year, Cord said about 100 people attended an evening performance and 30 or 40 attended an afternoon performance. She's expecting more to attend this year.
The "Vagina Monologues" will be performed at 7:30 p.m. April 9 and 10 in the law school's Wynne Courtroom. Tickets are $10. Tickets can be purchased at the door with cash or check; tickets can also be purchased via PayPal by searching for firstname.lastname@example.org.