Seven semifinalists go before the Indiana Judicial Nominating Commission Wednesday in their quest for a seat on the state’s second highest appellate court.
Facing second interviews, those judges and attorneys will focus their thoughts on what they consider their two finest career accomplishments and what two items need most improving at the Indiana Court of Appeals.
The interviews – which are open to the public – will be in the Statehouse, Room 319, which is near the Indiana Supreme Court’s courtroom on the second floor. The schedule is as follows:
· 9:00-9:20 a.m. – Hon. G. Michael Witte, Dearborn Superior Court
· 9:25-9:45 a.m. – Sen. Brent E. Steele, R-Bedford, Steele & Steele
· 9:50-10:10 a.m. – Hon. Elaine B. Brown, Dubois Superior Court
· 10:15-10:35 a.m. – Hon. P. Thomas Snow, Wayne Superior Court 1
· 10:50-11:10 a.m. – Hon. Jane Spencer Craney, Morgan Superior Court 3
· 11:15-11:35 a.m. -Stephen J. Johnson, executive director, Indiana Prosecuting Attorneys Council
· 11:40 a.m.-noon – Leslie C. Shively, Shively & Associates, Evansville
The commission will break for lunch and reconvene at 1:30 p.m. to conduct closed-door deliberations. It will publicly vote on the three finalists.
The names of the three finalists will be sent to Gov. Mitch Daniels, who makes the final decision. This appointment will replace Judge John Sharpnack, who is retiring May 3.
Watch for updates about the interviews at the Indiana Lawyer Web site (www.theindianalawyer.com) and in Wednesday’s Indiana Lawyer Daily.