The Indiana Supreme Court and the Division of State Court Administration have announced three grants available for court reform studies and education.
The court reform studies target three areas: judicial district governance and court reform efforts, county-level court reform and efficiency efforts, and special program efficiency efforts. The grants will be awarded through an application process in which the courts in a county or district would seek assistance for assessing their court and help in implementing recommended improvements. Judges may apply for the grants by completing a letter of interest and application. The initial study grants will be for up to $30,000, and the Supreme Court anticipates funding will be available for approximately five studies per year.
The education grant program will set aside around $120,000 a year for scholarship grants awarded through an application process. These grants will allow judges to attend sessions sponsored by pre-approved providers, such as the National Judicial College, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, and the American Judges Association.
Scholarship grants are available for a session and at 80/20 percent match, which means the scholarship will cover 80 percent of the cost and applicant will be responsible to provide the remaining 20 percent.
The funds for these grants came from unclaimed federal reimbursements for previously uncollected expenses associated with Title IV-D enforcement actions.
For more information about applying for one of the grants, visit the Indiana Division of State Court Administration's Web site.