The Bureau of Motor Vehicles acknowledged in response to a multi-million-dollar class-action lawsuit that it “may have inadvertently overcharged” Indiana residents for driver’s licenses.
Cohen & Malad LLP is class counsel for Hoosiers who paid a fee to obtain or renew an operator’s license after March 7, 2007. The class action certified earlier this month claims drivers under age 75 were overcharged as much as $7 per license.
“Are you kidding me?” Cohen & Malad managing partner Irwin Levin said in a statement after receiving the response. “Two months of research and investigation and this is what the BMV tells the people it took money from? … This case is simple. The BMV admits it can’t charge more than the law allows – but it did. The BMV continues to illegally overcharge Hoosiers. They need to stop immediately and give ordinary citizens back the money they took.”
In its response, BMV presents as an affirmative defense arguments that claims are barred by provisions of Indiana’s Tort Claims Act, I.C. 34-13-3-1, or that the BMV has immunity from punitive damages under I.C. 34-13-3-4. The Bureau also says some claims are barred by statutes of limitations.
The case before Marion Superior Judge Heather Welch is Tammy Raab, on behalf of herself and all others similarly situated vs. R. Scott Waddell, in his official capacity as commissioner of the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles, and the Indiana BMV, 49D12-1303-PL-8769.