There’s a lot to learn when starting your law career. Even if you’ve only spent one day on the job, you’ve probably already figured out that there are never enough hours in the day – lawyers are busy people whether it is year one or year 31! The busy days are especially troublesome for new associates who face a steep learning curve in the field; there is a lot to learn and the lessons often only come with years and years of experience. The IndyBar Young Lawyers Division has a solution to this problem: the Associate 101 CLE Series.
Keeping in mind that time is limited, the division hopes to maximize information in four succinct programs. By participating in the series, young attorneys will learn in four hours what otherwise may take four years. The seminars each feature experienced attorneys from a wide range of practice areas and backgrounds who are armed with high-quality information about the topics that matter most to new associates.
Intrigued? We decided to take 10 with the Young Lawyers Division Executive Committee to find out exactly what new associates can expect from the Associate 101 Series. Check out their top highlights and takeaways below!
Take 10 with the Associate 101 Series
1. The first CLE on Friday, March 27 will give helpful tips and hints about managing your practice area and learning the ropes as an associate.
2. The second CLE (to be scheduled in May) is a transactional primer for business attorneys and litigators alike. You’ll get an overview of transactional processes and the main information that you need to know.
3. The third CLE (to be scheduled in July) is a litigation primer. It gives a bird’s eye view for younger attorneys about life in the trenches as a litigator.
4. Finally, at the fourth CLE (to be scheduled in September), you will learn how to take the next step in your career: associate today, partner tomorrow. It’s never too early to start thinking about the next steps.
5. As an added benefit, the series offers great networking opportunities with fellow Indy attorneys throughout the year.
6. Attendees will be able to meet and interact with experienced legal professionals. When you attend a program in this series, you will hear and learn from Indy’s best!
7. The Associate 101 Series is a great way to gain insight into the practice of law. The series is specifically designed to assist young attorneys in the early stages of their careers.
8. Don’t fall into the same traps others have – stand on the shoulders of giants. Learn from those who have survived their early years in practice and have returned to tell the tale so that you can get a head start in your career.
9. This series provides efficient education: Come experience a four-hour series and get a comprehensive overview of multiple areas that might otherwise take much longer to experience in the field.
10. You can get your CLE credits one hour at a time over the course of a year and learn helpful hints in the process. Don’t wait until later to learn what you could learn now. Get started on your CLE credits today with the Associate 101 Series!
The Associate 101 Series kicks off on Friday, March 27 with “Practice and Project Management” from noon to 1 p.m. The program features speakers from Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP, Benesch Freidlander Coplan & Aronoff LLP, Office of Corporation Counsel and The Powers Law Firm.•