The St. Joseph County Nominating Commission announced Tuesday the five finalists to fill the upcoming vacancy on the Superior Court due to Judge Jerome Frese’s pending retirement.
Gov. Mike Pence will select one of the following five people to become St. Joseph Superior judge:
• Joel Gabrielse, St. Joseph County Prosecutor’s Office;
• Jeffrey E. Kimmell, criminal defense attorney;
• Mark F. James, Anderson Agostino & Keller P.C.;
• John M. Maciejczyk, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Indiana; and
• Jeffrey L. Sanford, St. Joseph Superior Court magistrate.
Eleven attorneys submitted applications. Indiana trial court judges are typically elected, but Superior Court judges in Lake and St. Joseph Counties are chosen by merit-selection and later stand for retention votes. Vacancies in Allen County are filled by gubernatorial appointment from finalists selected by the Allen County Judicial Nominating Commission. Judges in Allen County then run for re-election in nonpartisan races.