`

Holcomb cautiously backs Trump immigration order

January 31, 2017

Indiana’s governor is giving cautious support to President Donald Trump’s executive order restricting refugees and immigration into the country.

Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb said the country’s highest duty is to protect its citizens and borders. Holcomb said in a statement that he will monitor implementation and the impact of Trump’s order on the state.

He said he hopes for no adverse effects on the welcoming environment for Indiana’s law-abiding international community.

Republican U.S. Sen. Todd Young has expressed support for Trump’s order, while Democratic U.S. Sen. Joe Donnelly said the order isn’t consistent with American values and could give recruitment fodder to terrorist groups.

Trump’s order temporarily bans immigration from seven countries with majority-Muslim populations and suspends the United States’ entire refugee program.

Holcomb’s stance is a departure from the position he staked out during last year’s general election, when he said he didn’t support then-Gov. Mike Pence’s stance against Syrian refugees. He told WFYI after a gubernatorial debate, “I would continue to allow the refugees to come in here and find safe haven.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Articles by Associated Press, IL Staff