Police cleared in Fort Wayne gunman’s shooting death

April 13, 2016

A prosecutor has decided two police officers who fatally shot a Fort Wayne man last month won’t face charges because they acted in self-defense.

Allen County Prosecutor Karen Richards said in a statement Monday that Fort Wayne police officer David Wilkins and Indiana State Police trooper John Grant were justified in shooting Abraham Martinez. She said the officers reasonably believed the use of deadly force was necessary to protect themselves and others from serious injury or death.

Her decision was based on an investigation by the Fort Wayne Police Department and the Indiana State Police.

On March 20, state troopers and city officers responding to reports of gunshots found Martinez, who was armed with a handgun, outside of an AutoZone store. As he attempted to flee from the officers, Martinez began firing shots at them, so the officers returned fire, according to statements from the Indiana State Police and Fort Wayne Police departments.

Martinez, 62, was struck by an officer’s gunfire behind a restaurant. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A man inside the AutoZone store was shot by Martinez before officers arrived, police said. He was taken to a hospital in serious condition.

Wilkins is a 13-year veteran of the Fort Wayne Police Department, and Grant is a nine-year veteran of the Indiana State Police.


Recent Articles by Associated Press