An Indiana man won't stand trial for a second time on rape and criminal deviate conduct charges filed a quarter-century ago.
The Star Press reports Delaware County Chief Deputy Prosecutor Eric Hoffman filed a motion Tuesday to dismiss charges against 60-year-old William E. Barnhouse.
Barnhouse was released from custody on March 8, after tests found another man's DNA was found on the victim of the April 1992 sexual assault in Muncie. Barnhouse had been sentenced to 80 years in prison for the attack.
Hoffman says prosecutors wouldn't be able to prove him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt if the case went to trial again. He says the victim understands the decision to dismiss the case.
Barnhouse has been represented by attorneys from the Innocence Project, a nonprofit that has exonerated more than 300 convicted people through DNA results.