The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana is seeking public comment on proposed amendments to multiple local rules.
Comments on amendments to Local Rules 7-1, 10-1, 40-1 and 76-1 and Local Criminal Rules 8-1 and 49.1-2 are due by May 29. The proposals include:
• Amending rule 7-1(c) to allow parties to file response briefs to motions under Rule 12(b), (e) or (f) within 21 of service of the motion;
• Amending Rule 10-1 to require parties wanting to proceed under a pseudonym to file a notice of intention to seek leave to proceed under the pseudonym, and a motion to proceed under the pseudonym;
• Amending Rule 40-1 to require habeas petitions to be filed with the judge of the underlying criminal case, and requiring cases to be assigned pursuant to statute or rule, if applicable;
• Deleting Rule 76-1 regarding designating additional items for the record on appeal;
• Amending Criminal Rule 8-1 to set conditions for case reassignment; and,
• Amending Criminal Rule 49.1-2(c)(7) to allow motions for sentence variance under 18 U.S.C. 3553(e) to be filed under seal, as well as supporting sentencing memoranda.
Comments on the proposed amendments can be emailed to [email protected], or mailed to Laura A. Briggs, Clerk of Court, United States District Court, Birch Bayh Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse, 46 E. Ohio St., Room 105, Indianapolis, IN 46204.