The Indiana State Department of Health on Monday morning said the number of presumptive positive cases for COVID-19 in the state has risen to 259 after the emergence of 58 more cases. Seven people have died.
The department now reports that 1,960 people have been tested. The ISDH said the test number reflects only those tests reported to the department and the numbers should not be characterized as a comprehensive total.
The death toll in the state rose from six to seven from Sunday’s report.
Marion County reported 110 cases with three deaths.
Other area counties with cases with the most cases are Hamilton (21), Johnson (14), Hendricks (12), Lake (11), St. Joseph (9), Allen (6), Miami (6), Bartholomew and Clark (5). In Central Indiana, Boone, Delaware, Hancock, Hendricks, Madison and Morgan counties each have three reported cases.
Cases have been confirmed in 40 Indiana counties so far.
The health department is providing case updates daily at 10 a.m. based on results received through midnight. Information is also available online from the Indiana Department of Health.
Health officials say Indiana has far more coronavirus cases—possibly thousands more—than those indicated by the number of tests.
As of Friday morning, 35,241 cases had been reported in the United States with 471 deaths, according to a running tally maintained by health researchers at Johns Hopkins University & Medicine.
More than 351,000 cases have been reported globally with 15,374 deaths. More than 100,400 people have recovered.
For most people, the virus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia.
Gov. Eric Holcomb on Friday delayed Indiana’s May 5 primary election until June 2. But he said he would need to see more signs of widespread spread of the virus before taking action such as the governors of California, Illinois and New York state in ordering nearly all residents to stay in their homes.