An Indiana man has been arrested in Illinois on charges alleging he shot and wounded a disabled man who had been sheltering his ex-girlfriend since a stabbing.
A northern Indiana city is weighing spending another $500,000 to defend itself against a lawsuit filed by a man whose attempted murder conviction was thrown out because prosecutors didn’t disclose that the state’s sole eyewitness underwent hypnosis to sharpen his memory.
Prosecutors want a northwestern Indiana judge to reconsider his decision to release a man accused in the fatal shootings of a Gary woman and her 13-year-old son, calling him a “substantial” threat to the public.
A northwestern Indiana judge has approved a new attorney for a man who wants to seek a mistrial after being convicted in a sledgehammer attack that wounded another man outside of a school.
A Lake County man who stabbed repeatedly stabbed his wife did not convince the Indiana Court of Appeals on Wednesday that his nearly 30-year sentence for the crime was inappropriate.
A man accused of shooting five people, including three children, at a Chicago barbershop in January has been charged with attempted murder, authorities said.
Lee Boyd Malvo, the Washington, D.C., area sniper, and the state of Virginia agreed Monday to dismiss a pending Supreme Court case after the state changed criminal sentencing law for juveniles.
A northwestern Indiana judge has approved a mental health assessment to determine if a man accused of stabbing his grandparents with a butcher knife in their home is competent to stand trial.
A bill increasing the penalties for juvenile offenders passed a Senate committee on the night of Jan. 28 despite more than an hour of testimony from judges, attorneys, social workers, pastors and former inmates who all voiced strong and sometimes emotional opposition.
The grandmother of a northwestern Indiana man charged in a knife attack on her and her husband said it was like a “horror movie” when their grandson allegedly grabbed a butcher knife and began stabbing them. Nicholas Powers, 22, is charged with two counts each of attempted murder and battery, along with other charges, in the Jan. 28 attack near the town of Dyer.
A northwest Indiana man who was set free on bond on attempted murder charges is accused of fatally shooting his girlfriend, who he allegedly previously attempted to kill, authorities said Friday.
A bill increasing the penalties for juvenile offenders passed a Senate committee Tuesday night despite more than an hour of testimony from judges, attorneys, social workers, pastors and former inmates who all voiced strong and sometimes emotional opposition.
Indiana Supreme Court justices granted transfer in two cases last week concerning attempted murder and uninsured motorist coverage recovery, rejecting 25 other cases.
A bill mandating tougher penalties for juvenile defendants, including allowing 12-year-olds to be waived to adult court for attempted murder, is scheduled to be heard in a legislative committee Tuesday, but already strong opposition is mounting with both state and national organizations warning of the consequences.
A man who shot and wounded two police officers at a northwestern Indiana apartment complex before being fatally shot by police was a suspect in the strangulation death of a woman he had been dating, police said Tuesday.
A northwestern Indiana woman has been sentenced to seven years in prison for injecting fecal matter into her teenage son’s IV line while he was hospitalized for leukemia.
A man who claimed he was acting in self-defense when he fired shots into a busy northwestern Indiana Walmart store has been sentenced to three years in prison.
The Children’s Policy and Law Initiative of Indiana and more than 20 nonprofits and community groups have joined together to form the Indiana Coalition for Youth Justice, which advocates for reform in the juvenile justice system so that it offers treatment, programs and interventions that are age-appropriate, fairly applied and result in the best possible outcomes for Indiana children and public safety.
An Indianapolis man convicted of murder in the 2017 shooting deaths of three people has been sentenced to 170 years in prison. Marion County Prosecutor Ryan Mears announced Friday that Kenneth Lancaster was sentenced for the June 1, 2017, murders of Jessica Carte, Keith Higgins and Mark Higgins.
A man who claimed he was acting in self-defense when he fired 16 shots outside a northwestern Indiana Walmart store has been acquitted of the most serious charges against him. A Lake County jury convicted 27-year-old Alex Hughes of Gary on a criminal recklessness charge Friday for the September 2018 shooting in Hobart but found him not guilty of attempted murder and two other charges.