The We the People 2021 Middle School Regional Championship hosted by the Indiana Bar Foundation has concluded, with the top three champions from 2020 again being among the 14 teams advancing to the state championship.
Fall Creek Junior High School and Fishers Junior High School will be returning to the state competition. However, coming out of the regional contest, the two teams have switched positions. Fall Creek, which placed second in the 2020 state We the People competition, captured the first-place trophy in this year’s central region battle while Fishers, which took home the championship in 2020, placed second in the 2021 central region competition.
Also, St. Richard’s Episcopal School, which had a team place third in the 2020 state championship, will be sending another group, Team Neal, to the statewide contest.
We the People is a curriculum-based national program promoting civic education and responsibility for students in upper elementary through high school. A total of 33 teams competed in this year’s middle school regional competition.
The 11 regional winners and the three qualifying teams will participate in the Indiana We the People Middle School State Championship on Dec. 7 in Indianapolis.
The regional winners are:
- First place: Hobart Middle School
- Second place: Wilbur Wright Middle School: Team Franklin
- Third place: Wilbur Wright Middle School: Team Jefferson
- First place: Helfrich Park STEM Academy
- Second place: St. Philip Catholic School
- First place: Fall Creek Junior High School
- Second place: Fishers Junior High School
- Third place: Sidener Academy: Team Hamilton (McNealy Class)
- First place: Woodside Middle School
- Second place: R.J. Baskett Middle School
- Third place: Canterbury School: Team Van Buren
Also qualifying for state
- Carroll Middle School: Lestinsky 3rd Period
- St. Malachy School: Team A
- St. Richards Episcopal School: Team Neal
Indiana’s We the People program annually reaches 13,000 students and more than 100 educators. Since its inception in 1987, the We the People national program has reached more than 30 million students and 75,000 educators.