The Indiana Supreme Court will give a total of $750,000 to 11 civil legal aid groups in January 2010. This money is the first installment of the $1.5 million the court plans to provide to these groups next year.
The grant money will be split among 11 agencies around the state, with the organizations receiving anywhere from $5,000 to $479,000. To receive the Indiana Supreme Court Civil Legal Aid funding, an agency has to be a nonprofit in Indiana that provides civil legal aid services to the poor without charge.
The civil legal aid groups are:
- Indiana Legal Services Inc. - $479,012.74
- Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic - $80,315.63
- Indianapolis Legal Aid Society Inc. - $46,126.50
- Volunteer Lawyer Program of Northeast Indiana Inc. - $31,134.02
- Community Organizations Legal Assistance Project (Community Development Law Center) - $24,675.72
- Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence Inc. - $24,675.72
- Law School Legal Service Inc. - $24,675.72
- Legal Aid Society of Evansville Inc. - $13,650.05
- Elkhart Legal Aid Service Inc. - $12,344.39
- Legal Aid - District Eleven - $8,369.19
- Legal Aid Corp. of Tippecanoe County - $5,020.32