Charges: Suspended lawyer exposed self to girls basketball teams

A suspended Indianapolis lawyer is facing six charges related to allegations that he exposed himself to two high school girls basketball teams on separate occasions as they rode on school buses traveling in the city.

Raymond Fairchild, 71, is scheduled to appear in Marion Superior Court for an initial hearing Tuesday, where he’s charged with four counts of public indecency and two counts of public nudity, all Class A misdemeanors.

A phone message left for Fairchild on Friday afternoon on his number listed on the Indiana Roll of Attorneys was not immediately returned. Fairchild has retained Indianapolis defense attorneys James Voyles and Jennifer Lukemeyer of Voyles Vaiana Lukemeyer Baldwin & Webb, according to court records. A phone message left for Lukemeyer was not immediately returned Friday afternoon.

Fairchild is accused pulling his car alongside a Northern Wells Community School District bus as the vehicles traveled on Interstate 70 near the Indianapolis International Airport, and exposing his genitals to team members aboard the bus on June 15.

Charging information for Fairchild alleges numerous juvenile girls from the basketball team were interviewed and provided similar accounts of the incident. Several students and an assistant coach took photos of the driver as he drove alongside the bus and posted them on Facebook in an effort to identify him. Once the photos and scenario were posted online, they gained the attention of a girls basketball coach from Union City, whose team had a similar experience in February of this year.

Union City coaches and players identified the man as the same one who had exposed himself to the girls basketball team as it also traveled by bus on I-70 in Indianapolis.

Charging information also says close personal friends and professional acquaintances who have known Fairchild for decades “came forward of their own free will and confirmed the fact that the man in the images taken from one of the incidents in fact was Fairchild himself.”

Fairchild, who was admitted to practice in 1971, was suspended from the practice of law effective Sept. 1, 2016. The Indiana Supreme Court approved an agreed resolution of his discipline case, imposing a 180-day suspension without automatic reinstatement. Fairchild stipulated that he did not timely file a client’s written submission with a medical review panel in a medical malpractice case, leading to dismissal of the case. Fairchild later settled a legal malpractice claim with the client.

The court concluded in its discipline order that “similar acts of neglect in other cases handled contemporaneously with Client’s case” was an aggravating factor.

Please enable JavaScript to view this content.

{{ articles_remaining }}
Free {{ article_text }} Remaining
{{ articles_remaining }}
Free {{ article_text }} Remaining Article limit resets on
{{ count_down }}