The Allen Superior Court Judicial Nominating Commission will interview seven applicants next week to fill an upcoming vacancy in the court’s Criminal Division.
Led by Indiana Supreme Court Justice Steven David, the seven-member commission will begin interviews to replace retiring Judge John F. Surbeck at 9 a.m. on Aug. 28. The interviews will be in Courtroom 110 in the Allen County Courthouse, 715 S. Calhoun St., Fort Wayne.
Aside from commission executive session meetings, the interviews with the seven candidates will be open to the public. The interview schedule is as follows:
• 9-9:30 a.m.: Magistrate Judge Samuel Keirns
• 9:40-10:10: Michelle Kraus
• 10-30-11: Magistrate Judge David Zent
• 11:10-11:40: Magistrate Judge Steven Godfrey
• 1-1:30 p.m.: Magistrate Judge Jason Custer
• 1:40-2:10: Anthony Churchward
• 2:40-3:10: Huntington Circuit Judge Jamie Groves
The commission will announce the names of the three finalists to succeed Surbeck sometime after the interviews conclude on Aug. 28. Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb will then appoint the next judge from among the three finalists.
Like Surbeck, Allen Superior Judge Stanley A. Levine has also announced he will retire on Dec. 31. The process of selecting a candidate to succeed Levine has not yet begun.