State reports 533 more cases of COVID-19, 12 more deaths

The Indiana State Department of Health on Monday morning said the number of presumptive positive cases for COVID-19 in the state has risen to 4,944 after the emergence of 533 more cases. The death toll in the state rose to 139, up from 127 the previous day.

Monday’s report comes after Gov. Eric Holcomb on Friday extended the statewide stay-at-home order, scheduled to expire Tuesday, for two more weeks, through April 21. The health department reported that 26,191 people have been tested so far, up from 22,652 in Sunday’s report. The ISDH said the test numbers reflect only those tests reported to the department and the numbers should not be characterized as a comprehensive total.

Marion County reported 1,956 cases — up from 1,760 cases from the previous day — with 41 deaths. The state said 9,503 people have been tested in the county.

Counties in the Indianapolis area have reported at least 45 cases each: Hamilton (335), Johnson (195), Hendricks (196), Boone (64), Hancock (72), Madison (101), Morgan (76) and Shelby (45). The Indianapolis metro region accounts for more than 61 percent of total Indiana reported coronavirus cases.

Outside of central Indiana, counties with more 45 or more cases include Lake (369), St. Joseph (112), Decatur (90), Porter (79), Allen (75), Clark (71), Ripley (70), Floyd (58), Franklin (55), Bartholomew (54) and Monroe (51). Only three of Indiana’s 92 counties have not reported cases.

Aside from Marion County, counties where deaths have been reported include: Madison (9), Lake (8), Franklin (6), Johnson (6), Decatur (5), Hamilton (5), Hendricks (5), Lawrence (5), Allen (4), Clark (4) Elkhart (3), Fayette (3), LaPorte (3), Grant (2), Hancock (2), Howard (2), Orange (2), Ripley (2), Vigo (2), Bartholomew (1), Boone (1), Dearborn (1), Delaware (1), Floyd (1), Fountain (1), Harrison (1), Huntington (1), Jasper (1), Morgan (1), Newton (1), Noble (1), Putnam (1), Randolph (1), Rush (1), St. Joseph (1), Scott (1), Tippecanoe (1), Warren (1) and Whitley (1).

The increase in positive test results soared 44 percent since Friday, a jump that aligned with a 54 percent increase in the total number of tests reported to the Health Department during that time. At least 26,191 COVID-19 tests have been reported to the health department as of Monday, compared to 16,900 on Friday.

Marion County, Indianapolis, and central Indiana remained the state’s hotspot. Marion County has 1,961 of the state’s 4,944 cases, and 41 deaths. Nine people have died in Madison County, eight in Lake County, six in Franklin and Johnson counties, and five each in Hamilton, Hendricks, Monroe and Decatur counties.

The health department is providing case updates daily at about 10 a.m. based on results received through 11:59 p.m. the previous day.
Health officials say Indiana has far more coronavirus cases — possibly thousands more — than those indicated by the number of tests.
The largest proportion of positive cases – 20.2% – are people ages 50-59. Women account for 54.8% of positive cases in Indiana, and men account for 45.2.

Among deaths, people age 80 and older account for the largest proportion, 38.8%. Of the deaths reported in Indiana, 60.4% have been men, and 39.6% have been women.

The state is providing COVID-19 updates online.

As of Monday morning, 337,971 cases had been reported in the United States, with 9,654 deaths, according to a running tally maintained by health researchers at Johns Hopkins University & Medicine. More than 17,500 people have recovered.

Nearly 1.29 million cases have been reported globally, with 70,590 deaths. More than 270,200 people have recovered.

Please enable JavaScript to view this content.

Story Continues Below