Preparations for the 2020 National High School Mock Trial Championship in Evansville are continuing with the steering committee for the event being finalized. Lawyers, judge and private citizens from around Indiana are helping to oversee a contest which will bring about 900 high schoolers to Indiana.
Justice Steven David of the Indiana Supreme Court and Judge Richard Young of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana are serving as co-chairs of the 2020 national championship to held May 6 through 9. Students from across the country and its territories as well as South Korea will demonstrate their trial skills – examining and cross-examining witnesses, objecting and arguing – in a fictional courtroom drama.
Committee chairs on the steering committee for the 2020 event are:
- Beverly Corn, Attorney and logistics committee chair, Evansville;
- Donald Lundberg, Lundberg Legal and fundraising chair, Indianapolis;
- Hon. Melissa May, Indiana Court of Appeals and volunteers chair, Indianapolis;
- Scott Barnhart, Keffer Barnhart LLP and case committee chair, Indianapolis.
The remaining members of the steering committee are:
- Judge David Kiely, Vanderburgh County Circuit Court, Evansville;
- Patrick Shoulders, Ziemer, Stayman, Weitzel Shoulders LLP, Evansville;
- Ron Christian, Vectren Corporation, Executive Vice President & Chief Legal Officer, Evansville;
- Allyson Claybourn, Berry Global Corporation, Office of the General Counsel, Evansville;
- Scott Wylie, Director, Volunteer Lawyer Program of Southwestern Indiana, Evansville;
- Jeffrey Knight, Old National Bank, Vice President & General Counsel, Evansville;
- Judge Heather Welch, Superior Court of Marion County, Indianapolis;
- Lynnette Long, Indiana Judicial Nominating Commission, Indianapolis;
- Judge Randall Shepard, Retired Chief Justice, Indiana Supreme Court, Indianapolis;
- Judge John Broden, St. Joseph County Circuit Court, South Bend;
- Judge Philip Simon, U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, Hammond;
- Judge Marissa McDermott, Lake County Circuit Court, Crown Point.
For more information, visit http://indianamocktrial.com/